Friday, December 24, 2010

#9. Jeff Beck - Emotion & Commotion




If I was a guitar savvy person I might be able to explain to you in great detail why this album rocks. I could explain to you that Jeff Beck is the master of the chord progression, and he had excellent pedal choices, but I don't really know what I'd be talking about. I'll explain to you in the best way possible why I love this album. I enjoy the performers which Jeff Beck has chosen to sing covers such as Joss Stone in "I Put a Spell On You." Her voice blended with his guitar work is as close to perfection as you're going to get on that song. I mostly enjoy just listening to Jeff Beck play his guitar without lyrics, such as in "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." This song used to be one of my favorites as a kid, and still really enjoy listening to it. It was great to hear such a new twist to and old favorite. It is both refreshingly new and conformably familiar. Over the years many have covered that song, but this is by far the best musical version I have heard.

Side Note: Have you seen the cover? There is a freaking eagle carrying a guitar! If you didn't think this album was cool before you have to admit it now!

No comments: