Friday, December 31, 2010

#2. Rain on the City - Freedy Johnston




I've been waiting for Freedy Johnston to come out with an album that was as good as This Perfect World (1997) since I was 15 and in Haiti and he just might have delivered through Rain on the City.
One of biggest differences lyrically I find between this album and This Perfect World is that Freedy Johnston no longer seems to writing in the first person. It seems he is no longer writing about his experiences but instead giving advice to his son ("What you cannot see, you cannot fight") and to his friend ("Devil Raises His Own").
I started listening to this album shortly after the earthquake in Haiti so every time I hear the album it's bittersweet. Every time Johnston says "what you cannot see, you cannot fight" it reminds me of the tragic year that Haiti has had and how true that simple statement is.

Favorite Tracks: "Lonely Penny", "What You Cannot See, You Cannot Fight", "Devil Raises His Own", "Rain On the City", and "Don't Fall in Love with a Lonely Girl."




No comments: