Friday, December 24, 2010

#8. The Innocence Mission - My Room in the Trees.





My Room in the Trees is an album (in my mind) that is meant to represent winter even though it came out in the summer. The beautiful, soft, piano styling paired with the acoustic guitar creates this sound that seems completely unique the Innocence Mission. I can imagine people in winter coats walking or playing in the snow covered ground; snow falling softly on their eyelashes and happy faces. Okay, that's corny. But I'm saying the beauty of this album is meant for winter not gross, sticky, summer.

I've been a fan of the Innocence Mission for a while and always enjoy their albums but particularly enjoy this one because they seem to be experimenting with putting new instruments in their music such as the violins accompanying them on Rain (Setting Out in a Leafy Boat.) I do have a few disappointments with this album. I wish they would mix up some of their styles a little bit because sometimes many of their songs sound like previous works. Over all I think the album is great, and the piano parts are ever evolving to be more beautiful.

If you enjoy peaceful music, well-crafted lyrics, and beautiful voices give this album a try. My favorite tracks are Rain (Setting out in a Leafy Boat), North American Field Song, and Spring.

No comments: