Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Short Introduction

   I'm sitting in the Ft. Lauderdale airport on my way back from Cap Haitian, Haiti. I'm sitting in row 3 seat 5, gate B5 in terminal 1 to be exact (Hi Mom!) I'm on hour 4 of my 6 hour layover. It's during the 2nd hour after chowing down on my absurdly expensive airport hamburger that I realized this: I have this terrible habit of staring at people. I think it's partly to blame on the fact that I grew up in Haiti and staring at the "blacs" is always in fashion. I'll look at them but it never connects in my mind that they might be like me. I feel that no matter how long I look at them, I can never really identify them. I feel like an alien sent to learn the ways of mankind. Hello species number 85233, show me your worldly customs so that I may live with you in peace.  I notice far too many minute things.  It's apparent  to me that nobody travels alone, and the few that make the attempt have a cell phone glued to their face. I wonder where everyone is going and who they can't leave behind. I see that the woman across from me is lactose intolerant by the marking on the back of her coffee cup. There are three men across from me who have Boston Red Sox sweat shirts on, but based on all of their accents none are actually from Boston. A small girl twirling has a pattern which consist of one full twirl, two half twirls, and another full twirl before dizziness over takes her and she falls. She counts each twirl, "1, 3, uhh 45, 5." I wonder if I have any strange ticks that others notice. All my studying and examinations amount to absolutely nothing because I can't open my mouth to start a conversation. I'm getting better though, today in line at the hamburger joint this lady talked to me for 5 minutes about how she doesn't like when there aren't lids that fit the medium sized cups. I stood there and nodded, and then asked where she was going to. Long Island she said, and thus begins my first successful airport conversation. I hope to become better at the art of human relations, which is one reason I'm starting the blog again. Hello World.

3 comments:

gabeadams said...

Oh hello ('halo'). Your post entertained me to a 't.'

We ate turkey for dinner. (Wow, that's a big tokey.)

Hope you had a good flight. And why aren't there lids for the medium drinks? I blame the aliens.

Unknown said...

I'm in Cap and its just me, Dana, Pritchard 'epic' Adams (his new nickname me and John gave him since everything he says he makes sound so epic), Mari, Kola and shadow. John and Gabe left yesterday and my plane ticket got cancelled (I didn't read the small print about a lynx ticket cancelling if you don't make the first flight). Anywho I'm flying out today and hopefully I can have some interesting airport conversations but like you I'm one to observe most of the time. Keep writing your little heart out, and since you read my blog I have to read yours whether you like it or not. its just how it is. peace yo.

John Adams said...

Deb! You are such a good writer! I loved every inch of this post and I look forward to many, many more!

By the way, humanity is actually species 85233! Silly alien, you should know that.