Monday, February 25, 2008

What Kind of Friend is This?

   I want the weary, the abused, the downtrodden, homeless, bedridden people to consider me a friend. I want to cloth them, lift them up, care for them, and feed them. These things, Christ has done for me, and He gives me the privilege of doing it for others. 


  Week One: An idea sparked in my head, which prompted me to start two lists. One list included names of friends, relatives, co-workers, & strangers. The second list is of kind things I want to do for all of the people on list one. I don't want these things to be a thing I do every once in a while when I need some Jesus points when I'm feeling down. I want this to be a continual thing, so I've been trying to figure out ways to keep these projects going everyday of the year. 

 Week two: All week I've been calling hospitals in the area getting ready for this project I've undertaken. I've been asking if I could come in and visit the patients that don't get visitors. I told them I want to bring my guitar and play & sing, a couple books to read to them if they want, and some flowers.  I've never been so excited for anything in my life. 

  I've been afraid to tell anyone my plans because I don't want you to think I need a spiritual pat on the back. I'm sharing this with you now because I want you to know that I will do anything for you, if your in need a friend. If you need me to do anything just let me know. Also, I wouldn't mind having some company when I do some of these things on my list. 


  The Bigger Than Myself List:

 1.) Prepare meals for busy mom's so all they have to do is stick it in the oven.
 2.) Leave random notes of gratitude on waitress/waiter's table.
 3.) Prepare breads, desserts for others. 
4.) Pay for the person behind me at a toll. 
5.) Buy someone's lunch randomly. 
6.) Offer to clean someone's house or car. 
7.) Visit hospitals for the patients who don't have any visitors. 
8.) Hand write letters, prayers, poems for friends. 
9.) Offer to sew, patch, or hem whatever cloths might need repairs. 
10.) When an opportunity comes to bless someone, actually do it. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, you could do numbers 4 & 5 at the same time if you pay for the person behind you when you go thru a drive thru.

Blood in my Eyes said...

That's a good idea alex, thank you!

Emily said...

this post is really exciting! I love Jesus' heart in you, Deb :)

and, thanks for the comment :)