Monday, December 15, 2008

Top Albums of 2008

10. Ray LaMontagne - Gossip in the Grain: I really don't think this album is that great. I just needed a number 10. Don't get my wrong, I love RaycharlesLamontagne but I wasn't super impressed with this album. 


9. Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs: At first I told myself that I wouldn’t put this album on my list. I thought if I added it to my top 10 list, I would be doing it because I’m biased and love Bob Dylan. I’ve grown to love this album more and more over the months, and now and can add it to my list because I believe it truly is one of the best albums of this year. You have to know you’re gold when you can put an album together full of your “old thrown out songs” and it still be a classic. Best song of the album is “Dreamin’ of You” 


8. Coldplay - Viva La Vida (Death & All His Friends): I enjoyed this album, but I would love to beg Coldplay to never make another music video for this album, or at least fire their current video producer. I mean have you seen Viva la Vida’s video ... it leaves me a bad speechless. My favorite song is “Violet Hill” because of the beautiful piano part at the end. 


7. Jon Foreman - Spring: I feel like a fake Foreman fan, because I never liked Switchfoot but really enjoy his solo works. My favorite song off the album is “In My Arms.” 


6. The Weepies - Hideaway: I’ve grown to love the Weepies more and more as 2008 comes to a close. I think their lyrics and melodies are beautiful. By far, they are the best husband and wife duo that I’ve heard. My favorite songs are “Antarctica” and “How You Survived the War.” 


5. Radiohead - In Rainbows: Technically this album came out January 1st. Also, I didn’t get it until February so it counts. “Weird Fishes/Arpeggi” tops my favorites list. I can’t listen to this album without thinking of being in Haiti last Christmas. 


4. RuRu - Elizabeth: This is RuRu’s debut album, and it sounds like he’s been writing for 30 years. His cd is constantly in my car’s cd player. I adore the songs “West Virginia,” “Excuse,” and “House of Cards.” 


3. Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Cardinology: This is by far the most played album of this year. I sadly know how to do all the guitar parts (with my mouth - I can’t play the guitar that well.) My Cardinology addictions are "Fix It" and "Sink Ships." 


2. Joshua James - The Sun is Always Brighter: I might be jumping the gun a little with these last two picks. I’ve only been listening to them for maybe 2 weeks. I think this album is absolutely beautiful and is perfect to listen to in this chilly winter weather. My favorite picks are “Dangerous” and “Winter Storm.”


1. Josh Garrels - Jacaranda: My brother John introduced me to this guy a couple of weeks ago and I’m so glad he did! Josh Garrels comes from Waxhaw, NC and has produced the most beautiful cd I’ve heard all year. His words make sense and hold great conviction, which is not a common thing among musicians these days. It's hard to pick a favorite song, but I love "Don't Wait for Me." 



Check out these people for some different opinions: Gabe and Luis.  


That’s my 2008 best albums list. Now, I encourage you to leave your list on my comments.... oh come on. Merry Christmas. 

9 comments:

John Adams said...

I don't think the Weepies are as good of a husband-and-wife duet as The Innocence Mission.

But you totally made up for it by putting Josh G. at #1! I'm glad I could be the one to introduce you to his music.

Great writing and great list, by the way!

Catalyst Spark said...

That Ray cd was okay. I agree there. "Let it Be Me" is incredible though. Such a pure real heartfelt song. Indie points for having artists on there I've never heard of (RuRu, the top two picks).

And I knew you'd end up putting "Tell Tale Signs" on there ha ha, I just thought it would be higher.

Catalyst Spark said...

My favorite off Viva La Vida is "Strawberry Swing". It sounds like waking up. Straight from the opening notes, it's one of the most beautiful Coldplay songs.

"Into My Arms" is also my favorite Jon Foreman song from the Spring EP. My favorite off Winter is "The Cure for The Pain".

Still haven't heard the Weepies. Dumb name. Dumb album art. No thanks.

"Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" is a good cut, but "All I Need" is...all I need from that album ha ha. The opening baseline is menacing and vulnerable at the same time, and the last minute and a half always gets my hair to stand on end...or at least what's left of it.

Have you seen the LP version of "Cardinology"? The cover is so much better and I think it has a ton of extra stuff. I want to buy it, but I haves no record player. or money.

If you like chilly winter music, listen to Bon Iver. It was recorded in some mountain cabin in Wisconsin and is a beautiful ode to love and heartache.

Overall not a bad list.

gabeadams said...

Cardinology shouldn't be on the list. There's only a couple songs I can stand from that album. Sorry Deb.

Tell Tale Signs is okay. But it's nothing new or fresh. Plus, you're totally biased. No one else has Dylan on their list. :)

Joshua Garrels was a good pick. I haven't heard his entire album, otherwise I'd have included it as well.

For the artists mentioned that I know nothing about -- I'll have to check them out.

Blood in my Eyes said...

brGabe - Your wrong. Cardinology is a good album despite his songs that sound like he's bono. Turns out he's gone deaf in one ear - so I guess I can forgive him. And, I'm not biased, if I was he'd totally be #1.
John- Thanks!!! You're right The Innocence Mission are way better than the Weepies, but I thought they had another member in their band? I wanted to put their new cd on my list but I didn't have time to order it and stuff. :/
Luis - I don't know why I don't like Bon Iver. I think it's because I heard "Skinny Love" every time I got in my truck @ Phillips Construction. I do like "Flume" though.

John Adams said...

Christian Music Today put Brooke Fraser's album as their #1. Strange coincidence because Brooke Fraser happens to be my new girlfriend...

Catalyst Spark said...

yeah.. i don't like "Skinny Love" at all. "RE: Stacks" and "For Emma" are by far my favorites. That and "Lump Sum" and "The Wolves (Acts I & II)". That, and the rest of the cd.

Catalyst Spark said...

By the way...if you point your little web brower to Pitchforkmedia.com and check out their top 50 albums of 2008 I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at their number one pick...

Blood in my Eyes said...

Not pleasantly surprised, just surprised.